Rufus wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
BIll Spikowski wrote:

Before I could try the suggestions provided here, a Windows update
rebooted my office computer overnight (aargh, it's not supposed to do
that!).

Actually, that's what we think, but it's not what Microsoft thinks. The
default setting in Windows 7 is that the system installs all updates
without asking, and if a reboot is needed it puts up a prompt saying
essentially, "I'm gonna reboot in 15 minutes unless you stop me." Since
it's 3 AM and you're asleep in bed, you don't respond, so it goes ahead.

See the options at
Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\Change settings\

This is also happening in the Mac version - and not just with links from
Mail messages, but in opening HTML files using a double click. I've
tried the forgoing suggestions - reboot, reset default browser within
Safari...problem still persists under both OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.7.3.

OK, that's weird -- how does a Windows update reboot a Mac machine? You running Parallels or something?

Paul B. Gallagher