Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Rufus wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
BIll Spikowski wrote:

Before I could try the suggestions provided here, a Windows update
rebooted my office computer overnight (aargh, it's not supposed to do
that!).

Actually, that's what we think, but it's not what Microsoft thinks. The
default setting in Windows 7 is that the system installs all updates
without asking, and if a reboot is needed it puts up a prompt saying
essentially, "I'm gonna reboot in 15 minutes unless you stop me." Since
it's 3 AM and you're asleep in bed, you don't respond, so it goes ahead.

See the options at
Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\Change settings\

This is also happening in the Mac version - and not just with links from
Mail messages, but in opening HTML files using a double click. I've
tried the forgoing suggestions - reboot, reset default browser within
Safari...problem still persists under both OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.7.3.

OK, that's weird -- how does a Windows update reboot a Mac machine? You
running Parallels or something?

...heh...no, I tried the Mac analogs of all of the forgoing suggestions for the Win observation - coincidentally there have been a few OS X updates in the past few days as well. The analog of the Win Control Panel setting is contained within Safari, and a reboot is a reboot no matter who's OS you're using...

But this behavior has persisted throughout - both as the OP observes in the Win version and as I've observed in the Mac OS version, under Mac OS. So it appears systemic to SM in both versions, but I submitted a bug based on my Mac observations.

--
     - Rufus