chicagofan wrote:
Paul wrote:
PhillipJones wrote:
chicagofan wrote:
PhillipJones wrote:
I've read a specific newsgroup Comp.sys.mac.apps

I've setup some filters for certain individual and subjects that
offensive. I turned the people sending into abuse for the New Servers.
One more or less said "don't Bother me".

The other did remove the messages like the should have.

So decided to create filters to mark them read.

They don't work. Turns out that SeaMonkey sometime or another has
removed the ability to filter news Groups.

When did this happen and why? Now spam and offensive material I don't
want to read I can no longer mark as read. So I have to go through each
group each topic, subtopic and mark read before I can enjoy reading the
group.

To say I am steamed would be minimizing the way feel now. All I want to
do as mark them as read as soon as I go so I don't have to deal it.

Have you tried "deleting" them? Filters work fine for me in ngs, but I
choose to delete them in the filter.
bj

This is what I get :
http://www.screencast.com/t/wc08FQZZ

afaik, NS/SM has never had NG filters up to 1119.
I don't know about 2+.
At any rate, I have never been able to find or use
such for NG's. fyi- cannot del NG postings...
at least not easily and possibly not legally.

I have always had message filters for Newsgroups, and I think you've
misunderstood about how "Delete Messages" is accomplished.

We can't do it in the newsgroups, but we can set our NG message *filters* to
delete them, so that we never have to see them. It is so nice. :)
bj

As of SM 2.7.2 on Linux they seem to work, the posts are just not indexed into the list of available postings in the heading frame. There used to be a way to make an entire thread hidden after it was in the index, but I can't find any info on how that used to work. It was not with a filter, just a mark on the thread that kept it off the screen.

Anyway, filters do seem to work for me in ng.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>
  We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have