BIll Spikowski wrote:

I have this box checked in Edit | Preferences | Mail&  Newsgroups.

Yet it doesn't stop Seamonkey from downloading my email when only the
browser window is open -- or even when no window is open but a SM
process is stuck running in the background.

This is a problem to me because I sometimes must leave a browser
window open, but I want my email left on the server until I'm back in
my office.

Is there a workaround that might solve this?

In my experience, once SM starts checking mail automatically during a session, it will continue doing so no matter what you do to the prefs. So if you really want it to stop checking, you have to terminate SM after setting the new preference, which takes effect in the next session.

It would be ideal if the devs would add a notation "(takes effect after SeaMonkey restarts)" or something to that effect.

Paul B. Gallagher