On Wed, 02 May 2012 12:03:37 -0400, hawker wrote:
> On 5/2/2012 11:56 AM, Philip Chee wrote:

>>> So is this a known and reported bug?
>>> DownThemAll has a built in "accelerator" which implies that the download
>>> happens though DownThemAll's server not direct. That is a privacy
>>
>> No "download accelerator" doesn't imply that the download happens though
>> DownThemAll's server at all. What makes you think that?
>>
>> And anyway if it goes through an intermediate server then it would be
>> slower not faster.
>>
>> Phil
>>

> The way download accelerators have always worked, AFAIK is the the
> assumption that a accelerator company (it used to be your ISP) has a
> faster pipe. It downloads it, re compresses it and sends it to you that
> way, then your end decompresses. This step takes a host server.  This is
> why they mostly don't work per the test on the net (IE files tend to
> already be as compressed as they can, and we now all have fat pipes).
> They are a leftover from dial up days that worked with non compressed files.

Those are download proxy servers, not download acclerators like Flashget
and DownThemAll

> If you have different information, and modern download accelerators
> don't work like the old ones, than I would love to be enlightened.

All Download Managers do is to open multiple channels to the server
where the file is located and then each channel downloads a different
chunk at the same time. This only works with servers that allow chunked
downloads but this is most of them these days.

Phil