Jim Taylor wrote:
I'm certainly no expert but suspect that disk speed may be a major issue.
SeaMonkeys cache is in the profile along with cookies, history, bookmarks and
all the other sqlite databases so it's going to be reading and writing it
frequently. The advertized write speed for that card is 20MB/s and that is
probably for sequential writes of the optimal size so you are probably not
getting anything close to that. At best it will be 5 times slower than you SDD
and may be considerably more than that. Also running a release preview the
drivers may not be fully optimized yet. I suggest downloading CrystalDiskMark
(if it will run on Windows 8) and run it on the SD card and the SDD drive and
compare the random read and write speeds. You could also try moving the cache
back to the SDD drive to see if that makes a
difference(Preferences-Advanced-Cache-Cache Folder Location)

Jim (and Rufus):

Thanks for the advice. I'm travelling this week, but I will check out CrystalDiskMark when I get home.

I did try moving the cache back onto the C drive, but it did not seem to make much difference.

--
David Wilkinson