On 7/15/12 6:30 PM, Rufus wrote:
> Paul Bergsagel wrote:

>>> Not anymore, according to this page -
>>>
>>> https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
>> Please re-read this page. There are TWO versions of Flash available
>> (Chrome has Flash built to its code and doesn't require a separate
>> software download to get the Flash functionalities).
>>
>> Reading from the Adobe page I can see there are two different versions
>> of Flash for Windoows. One uses ActiveX Controls and plugins. The other
>> is a browser plug-in and provides flash for plug-in based browsers.
>>
>> I will quote from the Adobe page for you:
>> (under platform Windows):
>> 1. Internet Explorer (and other browsers that support Internet Explorer
>> ActiveX controls and plug-ins)
>>
>> 2. Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, Opera (and other plugin-based browsers
>> [i.e. SeaMonkey])

> of those two lines - they are identical.
>
>> SeaMonkey cannot use the ActiveX version of Flash. I.E. if you use it on
>> your computer will use this version of Flash. To use Flash with
>> SeaMonkey you need to install the plug-in version of Flash. If you only
>> install the ActiveX version Flash will work with I.E. but not with
>> SeaMonkey, FireFox or Opera. To get Flash to work with SeaMonkey,
>> FireFox or Opera you need to install the plug-in version of Flash. Don't
>> assume that if Flash works with I.E. that it should also work with
>> SeaMonkey. Flash will not work with SeaMonkey unless you have the flash
>> plugin (NOT flash activeX control) installed.
>>

>  From the look of the Adobe link, Flash now takes care of that for
> itself...if one can judge that by the identical version number listings.
>
>> There are two Flash software downloads for Windows--one for I.E. and
>> another for most other browsers. Make sure you download the plug-in
>> based Flash and Flash will work with SeaMonkey.
>>

> The only different version numbers are for Linux and Solaris platforms,
> bringing the total number of versions available to three -  but only one
> of them is listed for Windows - 11.3.300.265; including Chrome.

The version number are indeed the same, but the software is different.
See <http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html>.  The
.exe file to install for Internet Explorer is 8.8 MB.  The .exe file to
install the plugin for Gecko-based browsers and Opera is 9.4 MB.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross