David E. Ross wrote:
On 7/24/12 3:25 AM, Ed wrote:
Where is the default printer defined?  I Find the printers in about:config, but
cannot find any place where any is defined as 'default'.

I have a number of printers (or pseudo printers) available on this system.

My Windows 7 default printer is "FinePrint".  But SeaMonkey always comes up with
"PaperPort Image Printer" which is a software pseudo printer.

I would like SeaMonkey to use the system 'default' printer.

Let's start over.

In about:config, the default printer is indicated by the preference
variable print_printer.  Every time you actually print, this is reset to
whatever printer you request.  Thus, SeaMonkey remembers the last
printer you used and makes that your default.  SeaMonkey DOES NOT use
your Windows system default printer.

If you wish always to default to your Windows system default printer, do
the following:

1.  In your profile directory, locate the file user.js.

2.  Open user.js in a text editor (e.g., Wordpad, Notepad).

3.  Insert the following:
        user_pref("print_printer", "xxx");
        // default back to actual printer if another printer was
        // selected (e.g., Acrobat Distiller)

4.  On your Windows taskbar, select [Start > Settings > Printers and
Faxes].

5.  On the Printers and Faxes window, locate your Windows system default
printer.

6.  Left-click ONCE on the printer, pause, and then left-click again.

7.  Right-click and select Copy from the pull-down context menu.

8.  Paste the result over the xxx from step #3, keeping the quote marks.

9.  Close the Printers and Faxes window.

10. Save the edited user.js file.

11. Completely terminate SeaMonkey.

After doing all this, every time you launch SeaMonkey you will reset its
default printer to be the same as your Windows system default printer.
However, you will have to remember to edit user.js if you ever change
your Windows system default printer (e.g., you replace your printer).

Note well:  This CANNOT be accomplished via about:config.  SeaMonkey
will always update print_printer in prefs.js, undoing any setting you
make via about:config.  SeaMonkey does not change user.js, but it reads
user.js to override prefs.js.  This override happens only when SeaMonkey
is launched.

On my Windows 7 system, and probably all Windows systems, if print_printer is blank or invalid the print dialog defaults to selecting the system default printer. So clearing that pref ("" or " ") via user.js as David describes should always select the system default printer. Note that I have verified this by changing print_printer in about:config, but not by doing it via user.js.

--
Jim