On 8/5/12 12:12 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>
>> Windows XP SP3
>> SeaMonkey 2.11
>> Winamp 5.6.3
>>
>> When I have Winamp installed in [C:\Program Files\Winamp\], I have no
>> trouble launching it and playing a streaming broadcast from a link on a
>> Web page.
>>
>> When I have Winamp installed in its own [C:\Winamp\], I get an error
>> popup for .m3u and .pl links; but it still works okay for .pls links.
>> For the link <http://kuscstream.org/mp3/kusc128.m3u>, the error popup says:
>>      "C:\DOCUME~\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\kusc128.m3u could not be opened,
>>      because the associated helper application does not exist.
>>      Change the association in your preferences."
>> I do not see any reference to .mu3 or .pl files in Helper Applications.
>>
>> Windows file associations -- including m3u and pl -- all correctly point
>> to [C:\Winamp\winamp.exe].  All Windows registry values also point to
>> the correct path to winamp.exe.
>>
>> How can I fix this?
>
> I've seen this occasionally with various applications, nothing peculiar
> to WinAmp. If SeaMonkey lists no helper app, you can resolve this by
> giving it the guidance it needs. It's basically saying, "I don't know
> which app to launch to view this file."
>
> Most commonly this happens when you upgrade your app or install a
> competing one and SM loses track of where to look. You probably do have
> an M3U association (click "Content Type" at top to alphabetize the
> list). Click and update the action, you should be fine. You may have to
> change it to something you don't want and then change it back; in that
> case, "Always ask" is a good choice.

Okay.  I was able to use your advice and fix SeaMonkey for .mu3 links.
This required using LiveHTTPHeaders to see what MIME type was sent by
the link (audio/x-mpegurl) and then updating the Helper Application
entry for that MIME type as you indicated.  Thanks.

The only .pl link that I was using
<http://www.wqed.org/cgi-bin/fm/billboard_rotate.pl> seems defunct.
KQED now seems to broadcast only to Flash.  This requires that I keep a
browser window open without changing profiles, a PITA.  Thus, I cannot
tell if your advice would work for MIME type video/x-ms-asf when the
only related Helper Application is video/x-ms-asf-plugin.

Is there a way to add new MIME types to Helper Applications?

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross