On 08/05/2012 06:29 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 8/5/12 2:38 PM, WLS wrote:

>>> Okay.  I was able to use your advice and fix SeaMonkey for .mu3 links.
>>> This required using LiveHTTPHeaders to see what MIME type was sent by
>>> the link (audio/x-mpegurl) and then updating the Helper Application
>>> entry for that MIME type as you indicated.  Thanks.
>>>
>>> The only .pl link that I was using
>>> <http://www.wqed.org/cgi-bin/fm/billboard_rotate.pl> seems defunct.
>>> KQED now seems to broadcast only to Flash.  This requires that I keep a
>>> browser window open without changing profiles, a PITA.  Thus, I cannot
>>> tell if your advice would work for MIME type video/x-ms-asf when the
>>> only related Helper Application is video/x-ms-asf-plugin.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to add new MIME types to Helper Applications?
>>>

>> Does this help?
>>
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Register_protocol
>>

> It was not the protocol, which is HTTP.  It was the MIME type that was
> the problem.  I know how to add new file types in Windows, but I don't
> know how to add new MIME types to Helper Applications in SeaMonkey.
>
> Fortunately, my problem with .m3u file types is now resolved.  These use
> the audio/x-mpegurl MIME type.  I merely changed the entry in Helper
> Applications for that MIME type to "Always ask" and the changed it back
> to "Winamp".
>
> My problem with the .pl file type will require some action by WQED
> (incorrectly given in my earlier reply as KQED).  WQED now apparently
> streams only to Flash.

I see what you mean about WQED.

I used to be able to copy the link, and open the stream in my VLC
player. Now I have the choice of WQED-FM 89.3 Live Stream, or Pittsburgh
Concert Channel. Both open a small new browser window, which I can
minimize, but have to keep the browser open if I want to listen.

Grrrrrrr!

At least the Pittsburgh Jazz Channel still works right.

--
Fedora 17 | GNOME 3.4.2 | Thunderbird Earlybird