On 8/5/12 2:38 PM, WLS wrote:
> On 08/05/2012 05:23 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

>>> I've seen this occasionally with various applications, nothing peculiar
>>> to WinAmp. If SeaMonkey lists no helper app, you can resolve this by
>>> giving it the guidance it needs. It's basically saying, "I don't know
>>> which app to launch to view this file."
>>>
>>> Most commonly this happens when you upgrade your app or install a
>>> competing one and SM loses track of where to look. You probably do have
>>> an M3U association (click "Content Type" at top to alphabetize the
>>> list). Click and update the action, you should be fine. You may have to
>>> change it to something you don't want and then change it back; in that
>>> case, "Always ask" is a good choice.
>>>

>> Okay.  I was able to use your advice and fix SeaMonkey for .mu3 links.
>> This required using LiveHTTPHeaders to see what MIME type was sent by
>> the link (audio/x-mpegurl) and then updating the Helper Application
>> entry for that MIME type as you indicated.  Thanks.
>>
>> The only .pl link that I was using
>> <http://www.wqed.org/cgi-bin/fm/billboard_rotate.pl> seems defunct.
>> KQED now seems to broadcast only to Flash.  This requires that I keep a
>> browser window open without changing profiles, a PITA.  Thus, I cannot
>> tell if your advice would work for MIME type video/x-ms-asf when the
>> only related Helper Application is video/x-ms-asf-plugin.
>>
>> Is there a way to add new MIME types to Helper Applications?
>>

> Does this help?
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Register_protocol

It was not the protocol, which is HTTP.  It was the MIME type that was
the problem.  I know how to add new file types in Windows, but I don't
know how to add new MIME types to Helper Applications in SeaMonkey.

Fortunately, my problem with .m3u file types is now resolved.  These use
the audio/x-mpegurl MIME type.  I merely changed the entry in Helper
Applications for that MIME type to "Always ask" and the changed it back
to "Winamp".

My problem with the .pl file type will require some action by WQED
(incorrectly given in my earlier reply as KQED).  WQED now apparently
streams only to Flash.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross