»Q«:

>If you disable the udev useflag for thunar, the ebuild won't pull in
>gvfs.

Well, no. Perhaps because i am using stable. USE="-udev" prevents gudev,
will pull in gvfs and this requires USE="-cdda" because of

 The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
    cdda? ( udev )

>I just noticed that my thunar is built with -udev, and it still
>worked with SeaMonkey.  I don't know if simply emerging thunar will make
>SeaMonkey use it, but it might be worth a try.

I suspect that gvfs is part of the reason why thunar works for your SM.

>FWIW, my useflags for thunar are "dbus libnotify pcre
>startup-notification -debug -exif -test -udev -xfce_plugins_trash".

I have duplicated this

Calculating dependencies... done!
[...]
[ebuild  N     ] xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0  USE="dbus libnotify pcre
startup-notification -debug -exif -test -udev" XFCE_PLUGINS="-trash"

Emerging thunar would still get me 14 new packages i do not want. I
doubt thunar without gvfs can replace the filepicker.

All of this has much to do with Gentoo but little with SeaMonkey and i
believe we should stop discussing this on mozilla.support.seamonkey. ;)

Hartmut