Steve Wendt wrote:

On 10/14/12 12:15 am, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

So I don't think the SM servers are the issue for you. I can't have
received it quickly if they are running slowly.

The FTP server gets pretty slow when there is a new release.  If you use
the standard HTTP downloads, you get the benefits of the distributed
mirrors, so it's pretty quick.  The primary reason I go to the FTP
server is to see *all* the releases, including betas; a lot of stuff
gets hidden on the HTTP side (reasonably so).

If you'll post a link, I'll test that as well.

I neglected to consider one other possibility: if an ISP or some other intermediary is caching popular downloads, they could deliver them more quickly on request than if you downloaded directly from a slow source.

Paul B. Gallagher