Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
Larry S. wrote:

Due to having to reinstall SM from time to time, ...

I'd be interested to know why you have to reinstall. My SM resides here on
my drive in the same place (no new folders) through numerous version
upgrades, etc.

Are you by chance creating a new empty profile with each of these
reinstalls, and essentially "starting over" every time? Not reusing your
existing profile?

I have to reinstall because the upgrade fails, over several different upgrades. The symptoms (error messages) have come in various forms (which I can't remember in detail). Main symptoms include: SM won't proceed after the "Here's What New" page, or SM won't start when clicking the Desktop icon, or SM disappears altogether, including icons. I've been told that the file "last-update.log" would contain useful information about the problem, but when an update fails that file doesn't exist.

One common symptom throughout--mail and news accounts disappear, and need to be created new. Big pain, to recover all the various mail folders and messages after setting up the "new" accounts. Still don't understand why the new d/l doesn't just pick up my existing profile. (Note that the profile is still there on the HD.) Sometimes a new profile is created, and "Switch Profiles" doesn't work. Then I replace the new one with the contents of a back-up copy from the external HD.

Larry (totally confused, but always backs up the profile first)