Larry S. wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Larry S. wrote:
>>> Due to having to reinstall SM from time to time, ...
>>
>> I'd be interested to know why you have to reinstall. My SM resides here
>> on my drive in the same place (no new folders) through numerous version
>> upgrades, etc.
>>
>> Are you by chance creating a new empty profile with each of these
>> reinstalls, and essentially "starting over" every time? Not reusing
>> your existing profile?
>
> I have to reinstall because the upgrade fails, over several different
> upgrades.

That is definitely odd. I've upgraded numerous versions on my Linux box,
and my kids have on their Windows boxen with nary a problem. Each upgrade
finds the existing profile and merely updates/upgrades the program files.

> The symptoms (error messages) have come in various forms
> (which I can't remember in detail).  Main symptoms include: SM won't
> proceed after the "Here's What New" page, or SM won't start when
> clicking the Desktop icon, or SM disappears altogether, including icons.
> I've been told that the file "last-update.log" would contain useful
> information about the problem, but when an update fails that file
> doesn't exist.

Looks to me as if you are starting with an empty profile. Can't say why.

> One common symptom throughout--mail and news accounts disappear, and
> need to be created new. ...

New profile, that's why.

--
   -bts