On 11/11/2012 6:46 AM, MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 11/11/2012 04:35, Ant told the world:
On 11/10/2012 5:59 PM PT, Ron Hunter typed:

I just found a way sort of. Close all tabs and it will ask me to close
XX tabs. Dang, I have 123 tabs in ONE window!! I thought it was about
50! However, I have to do this for each window and do the basic math. :(

I hesitate to ask... how many windows do you keep open?  123 tabs is a
LOT.  Maybe a few minutes cleaning house would help.  Grin.

Usually one or two windows. Currently, I have 138 tabs + 17 tabs from
two windows. Yeah, that probably explains why sometimes seamonkey.exe
hogs up to 2 GB of memory and get very slow/freezes (have to kill it
like a few minutes ago). Yes, I am that crazy. I guess I am the only who
does this? :P However, my 64-bit W7 machines (8 GB of RAM) at work
handle this better so maybe my old, updated Windows XP Pro. SP3 with 2.5
GB of RAM can't handle this extreme setup well? :P

I have been reading the postings of the MemShrink and Snappy teams and
it appears that, albeit uncommon, your case is hardly unique -- there's
a good number of "extreme tab users" out there.
The good news is that there are a number of patches in various stages of
completion aimed at helping in your sort of use case.

The bad news is that no, I don't see your XP machine ever handling it
gracefully. 32-bit Windows by default does not give more than 2Gb to any
single application unless you run it with the /3Gb switch; and with 2.5
total RAM, probably not even that without a lot of disk swapping.

XP is getting more and more annoying all the time, anyway. I have this
feeling that the security patches MS released over the last couple years
have not received any consideration regarding performance impact; if it
works, it's fine for them, even if the patch causes serious performance
problems. Case in point: Microsoft Update nowadays uses oodles of RAM
for about 20 minutes right after XP boots up... the machine is basically
unusable for the first half-hour in the morning. The only known cure is
to disable Microsoft Update and go back to Windows Update.

I have been upgrading older machines at work to Windows 7 with
reasonably good results. As long as they have 1 Gb RAM, a dual-core CPU
and good driver support (video is the one that most often is missing),
the end result is better with Windows 7 than with XP.

The only thing I recall seeing run after I boot is the MSE engine checking things. Takes a while on my laptop. I guess the system turns it off during the update, and it has to 'catch up'.