Philip TAYLOR <p.tay...@rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> Rob wrote:
>
>> The world today is no longer about bytes or kilobytes.
>> Today we calculate in megabytes, gigabytes or terabytes.
>>
>> People no longer treat mail as a novelty that can transfer messages
>> like a telex did in the past.   They use it like a fax or letter.
>> That means mail includes mark-up, letterhead, vcard-like signatures, etc.
>
> That means mail /can/ include markup, letter-heads, signatures, etc.
> But it does not have to.  As this message demonstrates.

What does this message demonstrate?

>> I have no problem if you want to aleniate yourself from that world,
>> but it is the world that businesses and software operates in.
>
> And how many of those business, and what fraction of that software,
> addresses the vital issue of accessibility ?  When I send an e-mail,
> there is not a blind computer user on this planet who does not have
> access to its contents, if it reaches him or her.  90+% of the HTML
> e-mails I receive are completely inaccessible to blind people : no "alt"
> attributes, no "longdesc"s, no accommodation whatsoever to those who do
> not have sight.  That world is not for me.

We have a blind user in the company.  He uses Seamonkey with special
software that reads the contents of his mails using a voice synthesizer.
It is kind of a pain because the software must be told after every
Seamonkey release that Seamonkey is really Firefox, but aside from
that it works OK.  There really is no performance difference between
HTML and text mail while doing this text to speech.

But he keeps insisting that the support for mainstream software like
Internet Explorer, Outlook and Adobe Reader (we use an alternative PDF
reader as well) is much much better than for the software we have.

It appears the accessability software industry focusses heavily on
mainstream software and less on opensource products.  That is more
of an issue than the mail being HTML or text.