David E. Ross <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> On 12/20/12 9:29 AM, Rob wrote:
>> Philip TAYLOR <p.tay...@rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

>>> That means mail /can/ include markup, letter-heads, signatures, etc.
>>> But it does not have to.  As this message demonstrates.
>>
>> What does this message demonstrate?
>
> It deomonstrates that meaningful information can indeed be communicated
> without HTML formatting.

Not something that is interesting to demonstrate.
What needs to be demonstrated is that people can communicate in
business style, with company letterhead and logo, in text with markup.
That is what businesses want or need.

>> It appears the accessability software industry focusses heavily on
>> mainstream software and less on opensource products.  That is more
>> of an issue than the mail being HTML or text.
>>

> Yes, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey do a relatively good job in composing
> valid HTML for E-mail.  As this thread reveals, however, the HTML is not
> totally valid.  Too often, it contains "tag soup".

It is caused by carelessness of the developers.  It was okay until
people made changes and did not do full testing.  Now it is difficult
to find the person who did this and ask him to fix or undo the changes,
and other people start uttering things like "let's rip out the editor
and start anew".  Not very constructive.

> Other E-mail applications are not as good in creating valid HTML.

Fortunately that is not really what the screen readers are looking for.
They really read what is shown on the screen, they don't particularly
care how it lands there (from a Word document, a text mail or a HTML mail).

The exception is the case where the program does all the rendering in
internal code and just outputs a pixel map.  Then the screen reader has
a more difficult job.  But that is mainly determined by the program
not by the mail format (the exception being those mails that send the
text as an image, but they normally are not worth reading anyway).