Dear Paul
Nope, I have nothing like what you describe. I have 'Home' incl. the little
house icon, then a vertical dotted line. To the right of that is 'Bookmarks'
with a folder icon and all my various bookmarks.
I know my eyes aren't what they used to be but I truly see no speckled bars.
And my wife took a look and can't see anything either!

I am considering uninstalling Sea Monkey (I have Mac Keeper which will totally
uninstall it) and reinstalling. My major concern here is losing my bookmarks
which would suck.
David