David E. Ross wrote:
On 1/18/13 11:27 AM, Rickles wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 1/18/13 9:51 AM, Rickles wrote:
I've seen the notices and recommendations about the various Java
security holes.  I understand the concerns.  But there's one site my
wife visits regularly which requires Java, and now won't work on either
our XP-SP3 tower mainframe or a Win7 laptop, both with SM 2.15, because
SM has taken it upon itself to block every Java version back thru v6
Update 38.  The only option available to the user is to disable it in
Add-On Mgr, which is useless since SM has already locked it out.

This is the only site she wants to use which uses Java, so I'd
appreciate any recommendations as to how to turn SOME version of Java
back on in SM.

Java 7u11 is NOT blocked for SeaMonkey 2.15 under Windows XP.

Begging your pardon, Mr Ross, but if Java weren't blocked, I wouldn't
have posted the message in the first place.  In point of fact, the
plug-in is blocked, and the option to ENABLE it is not visible in the
Add-Ons Mgr screen.  The only button visible is 'Disable', which is what
I described to begin with.

I can begin to understand the current version of SM blocking Java due
it's zero-day vulnerability, but if I am supposed to have the option to
turn it back on, I have no idea how to do that because I can't see or
find an option anywhere to re-enable it.  And Mr Gordon is accessing the
same site as my wife, Pogo.com.  So he's seeing the same thing we are.
And SM is preventing the site from using Java in any version state.

I'm not as prepared to 'jump ship' as Mr Gordon puts it, but either I
have a fault which prevents me from seeing a re-enable option (help!?),
or someone has programmed this to take the choice away from me.  Either
way, I can't there from here.

I don't want to give up SM: I've seen Firefox and I prefer the suite
verion I use now (and have been using for many years).  And I detest the
MS product.  It's bad enough I have to put up with it at work, I don't
want to deal with it at home as well. (I'm an IT system/network admin,
but not a programmer.)

Okay.  I'll rephrase my comment.

Configuration:
Windows XP SP3
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.15
Java J2SE RTE 7 update 11

For me, I can still use Java.  I get a gray box with a Lego block and
the caption: "Click here to activate plugin."  I click (once, not
double-click) on the caption, and Java is working.

Just download the NEW java from http://www.java.com

All it does is raise the Security level bar from Medium to HIGH ,,

About pluggins No longer gives java as a Choice ,