A Williams wrote:

Bill Gates left years ago, blame Steve Balmer.

There are persistent rumours that SP1 for Win8 is going to include a
setting you can use to make it look like Win7.  There is some App
available on the 'net which already does that and it has over a million
downloads.  Even Microsoft has realised they may have a problem.

Windows generally has the problem of backward-compatability.  Programs
which ran under previous levels should run under newer levels.  Recent
versions have dropped some support for really old software but that has
always been the reason for "passed over garbage".
A lot of effort has gone into making Win8 boot quickly and then run fast
(and securely) on modern hardware.  Then some fool decided the UI should
look like that of a touch-screen smartphone.

I don't care much about how it looks -- a different color skeme or schin or whatever is really irrelevant. I do care about how it works and whether I can find $#!+. I do care about learning to use my computer all over again from scratch every two years.

And that's probably why they're making it like a smartphone -- because a bunch of idiots out there already know how to use smartphones and it's oh so terribly difficult to learn the completely different system used on desktop computers.

Paul B. Gallagher