Daniel wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

<Snip>
I see that, but it wasn't the question as I understand it. Ilya was
saying his system /does/ clear older entries even when he does not do so
manually, and he doesn't want that. I replied that my own system /does
not/ clear older entries, so the hypothesis that SM always does so
cannot be true. There must be some difference between his system and
mine that accounts for my long history and his short one.

FWIW, I would love to have that capability back -- to be able to specify
that entries older than nnn days should be cleared. I miss it.

P.S. I double-checked and found that my system is retaining over 75,000
URLs in the history, and about:config specifies 104,858 as the maximum
number at places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages. Another
few months and it will have to start expiring older entries.

Paul, any idea how old the oldest of you75,000 retained URL's is??

In the message before the one you quote, I said:

It can't be that simple. I have about 50,000 URLs in my browser
history, some of them visited as long ago as January 8, 2012 (the
last time I cleared it). There must be something else going on.

Paul B. Gallagher