Andrea Govoni <x...@mac.com> wrote:
> IMHO, the advantages to go for the easy fix route is that you'll be able
> to stay on the current stable version line, with all the security fixes
> and function/code benefits that it means.
> For example, if you encounter a bug or experience a SM crash you'll not
> have to wonder or research if that's already been fixed in the stable
> version.

On the other hand, if something that worked for years is suddenly
broken, you won't have to endure that when you stay on a fixed version
and ignore the babble about security.

It is becoming more and more of a problem that security fixes and playing
with new stuff is done on the same version chain.

Everytime when the "please update because we have fixed all those important
security problems" message goes out, it is a disaster for many users
because they suddenly have problems they never had.

At work, we have been using Netscape Communicator since 2001, later
Mozilla and currently are using Seamonkey, bit starting in the 2.1x series
it has become a disaster.  Many times when a new version was released,
critical issues popped up the first few days of company-wide use (despite
testing for a week or two of daily use within the IT department), that
required me to make hastly moves like locking settings or rolling back
to the previous version.   Now we are stuck to 2.14.1 and I don't dare
to change it anymore.  I know the issues and have worked around the most
critical ones.

Migration to IE+Outlook is around the corner.  It is a pity, but there
seems to be no hope for Seamonkey (or other Mozilla products) in a
production environment.