On 8/6/13 1:27 PM +0900, Geoff Welsh wrote:
Trane Francks wrote:

Whether SeaMonkey's HTML component is hopelessly borked is not my
problem. If we assume that Thunderbird does not exhibit this behaviour
when sending mail to Outlook, ....

I'm not sure anyone has verified the behavior on multiple SM platforms
even, let alone tried T-Bird.  The thread pretty much went blame-game
from day 1.

Well, it pretty much goes without saying that SM is not sanitizing its input. Any programmer worth his/her weight in salt knows that input validation is crucial to ensuring that the data output has even a minimal chance of being okay. The question isn't whether SM is doing it wrong (it most assuredly is), but whether the problem is SM-specific or is deeper, i.e., Mozilla Core.

I can't test/verify it of course, I don't have Word or Outlook.  The
"paste without formatting" suggestion seemed to be the best answer.

I'm in the same boat: On a Mac, no Word or Outlook.

I would have thought the "MS Word writes horrible code" issue was well
known enough ten years ago, that people didn't even try to paste it into
another program anymore.

People need to understand that what is "bad code" on the outside is nothing more than Word mark-up on the inside. You can't /really/ blame MS or Word for how the clipboard treats the HTML out of Word, but it does bring to light a very interesting question: Why can Outlook users paste from Word docs and they send/receive without issue? I can only assume that Outlook sanitizes the outgoing HTML, but it's not something I can easily verify.

It would be interesting to understand why Word-Outlook-Outlook works and yet Word-SeaMonkey-Outlook doesn't. Meanwhile, people will forever paste from any program to any other program. Why? Because it's supposed to work that way.

trane
--
// Trane Francks    tr...@gol.com    Tokyo, Japan