Trane Francks <tr...@gol.com> wrote:
> On 8/19/13 1:37 AM +0900, Rob wrote:
>> A Williams <root@localhost.localdomain> wrote:

>>> Outgoing?  What port?
>>> That would mean Rob should maybe look at his firewall logs.
>>
>> It could be a "phone home" problem.  The systems are on a LAN
>> with no internet routing.  Browsing is only via a proxy.
>>
>> Is Seamonkey trying to make a connection to internet during startup?
>> If so, why is that?
>> Why does it not respect the proxy settings?
>>
> Perhaps it's checking for updates? I don't know what protocol is used
> for that, but it may not be HTML and, therefore, may not use proxy
> information.

If there is any such change, I would hope someone (here?) knows about it!
Before, it would check updates via the proxy server just fine.  I have
turned that off because I don't want our users to do updates, we roll
them out after testing, in a weekend automatic job.
And this issue shows that testing really is required.  I'm sure we would
get questions and complaints when it would be rolled out like this.

Until now, there is no evidence that it is a phone home problem, though.
The only evidence I have is that it takes about as much time as a
connection timeout would, and it does not use CPU during that time.
However, it is also clear that the time depends on the number of .msf
files in the ImapMail tree, so it is not likely to be a single connection,
it looks more like a delay while processing each .msf file.
(and those files are on the local disk)