sean nathan wrote:

forgive me for hijacking a thread, but I've just run up against this
same problem after someone sent me the following links...

https://ci4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/CwOh9_DfQMO_VivK1ZQLBqJTJp5AHj_cDIBflKtgM0Ro0rng0saXAxY4FO8caTtnkgG9des4qmsmxKzf6CJLWkZ3E7iCGeK3NeS5Pp-C0RKO-XHJReHPCF3SExznXrmUQFdlXdIW4uoYawH6D-vU=s0-d-e1-ft#http://img-ak.verticalresponse.com/social_sharing/social_sharing.placeholder.facebook.png>

and

<https://ci6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/4ZRcWOtlH9zqnI8VGE4TBRIPCD9lLpi1j3c8euSriV8dxzUN5serT8ll47IkcdXQlKaZ-iRsUamsccoe5sljEGTHjiabRiRq97CpLmuoUdEdp_hEY64mFVlHH_avZw=s0-d-e1-ft#http://img-ak.verticalresponse.com/email_layout/1430//snowflakes-top.gif>

i don't run across them often anymore, bit its seems to me older
versions of SM would have just shown me the .png and the .gif

what changes do I need to make so that i don't hafta go off in search of
the "helper application" in linux? As a relative linuxn00b, I've no idea
where to find the default image viewer...

:~(

After downloading the images into your /home/<username>/Pictures or /home/<username>/Downloads did you try double clicking on them ?

When i click your images/link in SeaMonkey the get opened in "Eye Of GNOME" or "The GNOME image viewer"

You have not specified as to what Linux(Distribution) you use and what desktop(GNOME,KDE,XFCE,LXDE,E17 etc..) you use . Each desktop in Linux will typically have its own default image viewer.
--
GNOME 3.10.1
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) 64-bit