On 2/20/2014 7:27 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message <8cqdnwftaocphjvonz2dnuvz_vkdn...@mozilla.org>, hawker
<haw...@asheville-spamtrap-community.org> writes
On 2/20/2014 3:57 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message <mcmdnfrkrprp0jvonz2dnuvz_hsdn...@mozilla.org>, hawker
<haw...@asheville-spamtrap-community.org> writes
On 2/19/2014 11:40 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
I'm new to SeaMonkey (although I've had Thunderbird running for a
couple
of years now as a possible alternative to my long-time mail/news
client,
Demon's now-unsupported 'Turnpike').

I have a friend who's not much made up with his Windows 7 Windows Live
Mail (and I can't say I blame him). I've been recommending that he try
TB as an alternative. However, I've just started trying SM, and as it
seems a bit simpler than TB, I thought I'd suggest that instead.

Unfortunately, SM's 'Tools', 'Import' can't import WLM .eml e-mails
directly. Unlike Thunderbird, the ImportExportTools extension (both
versions 2.7.2.2 and 2.8.0.4) is incompatible with SM V2.24 (well,
that's what I get when I try to install the .xpi file from file).
While
the .eml files could probably be converted into something that SM
would
accept, things are starting to get a bit complicated.

So my question is whether anyone has any recommendations for a simple
WLM-to-SM transfer?

It sounds like if you could get the .xpi extension to work you would
be golden. There is a good chance it will work but that it just
doesn't list itself as SM compatible.

You can google on how to do this but the short explanation is to
rename .xpi to .zip. Unzip it, edit one of the files in a text editor
(forget which) to show it as SM compatible (it was self explanatory
once I got into it), then rezip and rename.  It will now install.
That, however, doesn't mean it will work but give it a try.

I've been doing some more Googling, and eventually I found the right
selection of search words. It does indeed appear that there is a problem
with ImportExportTools when you try to use it with SM. One of reviews on
the download website
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools/rev

iews/>
says:
"Please update for SeaMonkey
by Tikky on December 1, 2013
The latest version for SeaMonkey (2.2) can't export mail (it doesn't
create the files). It works with the 2.8.0.4 TB version - but you have
to manually change install.rdf to make it compatible. So for those who
can't/won't make that change, please make an updated seamonkey version
available."

I'm not quite sure what Tikky is saying here. IET certainly works with
TB (well, version 2.3.3 does) as I've used it to import .mbx emails.
What he says suggests that he actually got ImportExportTools 2.8.0.4
installed OK (for SM), but the export function didn't work. With be, it
won't install, and I get the 'incompatible' message.

However, I then found further references to IET being incompatible with
the latest version of SM, and there's a lot of expert discussion on
modifying install.rdf (which indeed does appear if you do an extract on
the .xpi file). I used Notepad to have a look at it, but it's simply a
short piece of gobbledegook, and looks nothing like what the discussions
indicate. So far I haven't found an idiot's guide to doing the editing,
so hopefully the author of ImportExportTools (Paolo "Kaosmos") will
eventually find the time to do the SM update.

It sounds like he is talking about very old versions of TB, SM etc.
I think your going to just need to modify the .rdf file. There is a
section that says versions and you just add the SeaMonkey versions.

If you open install.rdf in a text editor you should see something like
this.

  <!-- Firefox -->
   <em:targetApplication>
    <Description>
      <em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
      <em:minVersion>3.0</em:minVersion>
      <em:maxVersion>15.0.*</em:maxVersion>
    </Description>
   </em:targetApplication>

   <!-- Thunderbird -->
   <em:targetApplication>
     <Description>
       <em:id>{3550f703-e582-4d05-9a08-453d09bdfdc6}</em:id>
       <em:minVersion>2.0</em:minVersion>
       <em:maxVersion>15.0.*</em:maxVersion>
     </Description>
   </em:targetApplication>
 <!-- SeaMonkey -->
   <em:targetApplication>
        <Description>
       <em:id>{92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a}</em:id>
       <em:minVersion>2.0</em:minVersion>
       <em:maxVersion>3.0.*</em:maxVersion>
     </Description>
   </em:targetApplication>

It may not have the seamonkey part. If not add it in after thunderbird
like this.

<!-- SeaMonkey -->
   <em:targetApplication>
        <Description>
       <em:id>{92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a}</em:id>
       <em:minVersion>2.0</em:minVersion>
       <em:maxVersion>3.0.*</em:maxVersion>
     </Description>

Instead of using Notepad to look at install.rdf, I've just tried
Wordpad. This immediately displayed a nicely laid out text file (similar
to what you indicate above). And yes, there is no mention of SeaMonkey.

Notepad fooled me by only showing three of lines of
not-particularly-intelligible gobbledegook. However, when I copied and
pasted it to a Word document, I realised that there was a lot more of
it, but it simply was going off-screen. If I select 'Format' and pull
the right-hand side in, the text begins to take shape - and it looks
pretty much like what Wordpad shows.

Tomorrow I'll have a further look at the problem, and see if I can
successfully add the SeaMonkey bit. Presumably I'll then need to re-zip
the extracted files, change the extension back to .xpi, and finally see
if an 'install from file' works.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll report back as to whether it was
successful.

Glad to hear. Yes I have had some issue before with Windoz editors.
Now is the time to plug my fav text editor TextPad. Free download. Might help you here.
https://www.textpad.com/index.html