BIll Spikowski wrote:
NFN Smith wrote:
If you haven't done so, you might want to enable logging for a couple of
weeks, and see which rules are being hit, and which ones aren't.  For the
ones that aren't, consider disabling or deleting, and you might see a little
bit of a performance improvement.

I'll try logging -- hadn't thought about using that to weed out obsolete
filters!

Actually, logging is already enabled, and has been since 2010!

Does anyone know where the log file is stored? I'd like to be able to review it
somewhere more convenient than the window provided by Seamonkey, and be able to
search the log file.

I've found msgFilterRules.dat, but all I see there is the filter definitions,
not the filter log.

I hadn't even thought about performance improvements; I'm mainly trying to
figure out why certain emails are getting filtered when I don't want them to.
For instance, any email FROM me has gotten sent to junk, for years now!

(I just found a couple of extensions, "filter for filters" and "quickfilters,"
and am trying to make them work to allow filters to be sorted by the name and be
searched.)

The order in which they are displayed is the order in which they are run, unless there is no interaction between them that's probably NOT what you want. Where multiple rules may apply to a single message you need some thought not to put the rules in the wrong order and do something really unexpected to yourself.

For rules you want to run on every message, put them first if performance doesn't matter as much as not missing something. The, for performance, put rules which will delete or move many messages before rules which you expect to hit only a few messages. Put rules which are cheap to run, looking at message size or header fields, before filters which look in the body of the message.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>
  We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have