Bill Davidsen wrote:
BIll Spikowski wrote:
Does anyone know where the log file is stored? I'd like to be able to review it
somewhere more convenient than the window provided by Seamonkey, and be able to
search the log file.

I've found msgFilterRules.dat, but all I see there is the filter definitions,
not the filter log.

I hadn't even thought about performance improvements; I'm mainly trying to
figure out why certain emails are getting filtered when I don't want them to.
For instance, any email FROM me has gotten sent to junk, for years now!

(I just found a couple of extensions, "filter for filters" and "quickfilters,"
and am trying to make them work to allow filters to be sorted by the name and be
searched.)

The order in which they are displayed is the order in which they are run,
unless there is no interaction between them that's probably NOT what you want.
Where multiple rules may apply to a single message you need some thought not to
put the rules in the wrong order and do something really unexpected to yourself.

For rules you want to run on every message, put them first if performance
doesn't matter as much as not missing something. The, for performance, put
rules which will delete or move many messages before rules which you expect to
hit only a few messages. Put rules which are cheap to run, looking at message
size or header fields, before filters which look in the body of the message.

The 'quickfilters' extension works great for sorting filters by name!

I haven't noticed any performance difference, or odd interaction, after sorting
them by name. Maybe that's because my filters are nearly all by sender name, or
a word in the subject line -- and don't require looking into the message body.

I've managed to eliminate about a third of the filters because they're clearly
obsolete, and consolidate dozens more that were various attempts at achieving
the same result.

(BTW, Quickfilters also has a feature for SEARCHING the filters, but I haven't
figured out how to make that work yet.)