Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Rufus wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 11/15/2014 2:01 PM, Jim wrote:
I am not expecting an answer to this question, as most of you can't get
to this web site.

I am retired military and need to use many military web sites.  The
military is paranoid about password security and requires users to
change their passwords every 90 days (and the requirements get ever
more
complex).

I use Keepass to generate passwords, and paste the passwords into the
proper boxes.  Last week, I was told I need to change my password.  One
requirement is that the password must be between 15 and 20 characters.
I set Keepass to generate a 20-character password and meet all the
other
requirements.  I had problems getting a password, that I could use to
log in.

I found out, that in Seamonkey, when I pasted my 20-character password
into the box, it only showed 17 "password dots".  (It was cutting off 3
characters).

When I successfully used IE, the boxes would hold 20 password dots.

Any thoughts on this?

TIA -- Jim

Try the extension Show my Password from
<http://netcat.ath.cx/extensions.html>.

After you enter the password, left-click on it twice and then twice
again.  It should highlight on the 2nd and 4th clicks.  Then right-click
and select Show Password from the pull-down context menu.  If you do not
see Show Password in the menu, left-click twice more.

Be careful about not moving your cursor or clicking your mouse while
viewing your password.  Otherwise, it will revert to dots.

Still begs the question - what is the longest Password string that SM
will store natively, and what is the longest one it will display in
hidden presentation?  And is there any difference between the two?

Those answers would be good general knowledge for a user to know - I
feel the OP's pain...

Interesting questions, but I don't see anything in the OP's post about
storing the password in SM. (the military probably wouldn't like that --
I'd treat it the same as my bank passwords, which I never save on any
computer). He only says he pasted it into SeaMonkey.

I think it's implied that he's using the SM Password Manager in that he's asking about the dots - and I would also be surprised that he would/could be allowed to use SM on a gov-controlled system, so I have to assume he's using it on his own private machine to access VA benefit sites and such where he would still have the requirement to refresh his passwords.

...sooo...back to my question(s) - what is the longest Password string that SM will store natively, and what is the longest one it will display in hidden presentation? And is there any difference between the two?

And in addition - what is the longest string SM will even allow as input?

--
     - Rufus