Daniel wrote on 12/2/2014 4:00 AM:
On 02/12/14 14:16, Ed Mullen wrote:
Daniel wrote on 12/1/2014 6:55 AM:
On 30/11/14 22:12, Bob Minchin wrote:
EE wrote:
Ed Mullen wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote on 11/29/2014 11:25 AM:
Hi,

Currently using ver 2.30 running under winxp sp3

When I try and back up the bookmarks, a file .json is saved ok but I
can't restore from it. I get an "unable to process the backup file"
message.
Is this a known problem
Any ideas please?

TIA

Bob

Yes, known issue.  You should be making regular _complete_ backups of
your entire profile folder.  If need be you can simply restore from
the
backup the places.sqlite file into the profile folder to restore
bookmarks and history.

You can also export bookmarks as HTML and import that file to restore
them.  Note that importing appends rather than replacing.

Thanks Ed & EE for your helpful replies.
I had tried the HTML route and wondered why is did not behave as I
expected to replace a deleted bookmark.

My initial objective was to move the established bookmarks from one
machine to another when I discovered the problem.

Would simply copying the places.sqlite file into the second machine
work
OK or do I need to do the HTML import method and edit out duplicates?

Is fixing the restore problem on the SeaMonkey to-do list or in the too
hard pile?

TIA

Bob

Bob, if the restore bookmarks is not working, which it isn't, why not
just Export your current bookmarks as HTML, Copy that bookmarks.html
file to your other computer and then import it there??

Stop relying on the program's export/import functions which don't work.

Sorry, Ed, whilst I'd accept your suggestion to have a back-up, the
export/import method I suggested above *does* work ... it has saved me
more than once!!

Or are you talking about the places.sqlite back-ups failing, which *IS
NOT* what I'm talking about!!

I was referring to the .json restore function which doesn't work. Export to/import from html is one way to go. I dind it easier to simply drag the backed up places.sqlite file from a backup into the profile folder. But, hey! to each his own! ;-)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/