mozilla-lists.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote:
Bill Spikowski wrote:
Does anyone else have the problem where they're typing something into a
web form in SM and suddenly the "find box" pops open and the cursor is
entering my text there, instead of in the web form?

This has been happening quite a lot and I kept assuming I was hitting
some odd key combination that replicated 'control F' -- but today I've
been paying attention and it's been happening randomly, even when I'm
sure I'm not hitting any odd key combination, or any specific key.

If this is happening only to me, I'd better investigate my keyboard!

A couple of thoughts...

1. Is this a general problem, or does it only happen one or a few particular
sites? It may be that the page is still loading when you start typing, and when
it finishes loading, it runs some Javascript which affects the keyboard focus,
so you're no longer typing in the text box.

For me, it's a general problem, on multiple computers, different OSs, and
various websites, but only when I'm using the SM browser. It might not happen
for a few days, then five times in one day. It's not something that occurs only
when a page has been freshly loaded.

2. Are you using a laptop with a touchpad? It's possible that your wrist taps the
touchpad, causing a mouse click outside of the box you're filling in, thus
removing keyboard focus from it. If possible, try disabling the tap-to-click
feature or adjusting its sensitivity (in Windows, there's probably an option
somewhere under Control Panel > Mouse, though the exact place varies with
manufacturer and Windows version).
It does happen on my laptop, in which case I always assume I brushed the
touchpad! When it happens on desktop machines, first I assumed that the mouse
must have moved slightly as I was typing -- but I've eliminated that
possibility, so it's something else

In both cases, having positioned the keyboard focus outside of the text box, continuing to type
activates the "find as you type" feature (as others have mentioned). It can be disabled
at Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Find As You Type, but you'll probably find that the
keyboard focus still keeps leaving the text box, and just doesn't activate the find box having
done so.
I'm not sure what you mean. If I'm in the middle of typing in a text box, how
could the keyboard focus be somewhere else? (other than possibilities you
mention above). Are you saying that would be the symptom of another problem, if
Find As You Type has been disabled?

If the focus somehow moves outside the text box, but not to the find box, what
would happen? Does that mean my typing would suddenly have no effect until I
put the cursor back in the a box and continued typing? I'll watch for that
behavior.

I've disabled Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Find As You Type. So far, I don't
seem to have lost any functionality, and the find box hasn't suddenly opened, nor has
the focus jumped out of a box, but it's only been one day.

Thanks for the observations, I'd love to get this minor annoyance sorted out.