Lately the Mozilla plugin check has been confused and confusing: some plugins that are up to date according to their publishers are listed as out of date, and others are suddenly "unknown." What gives? Did Mozilla suddenly abandon this and quit managing it?

Examples:

Adobe Shockwave Flash 16.0.0.287 is listed as "potentially vulnerable" and I'm advised to update, but this is the current version.

Adobe Acrobat 10.X (in my case, 10.1.13.16) has been listed as out of date for years, but there are no updates available (unless I want to shell out hundreds of dollars for a version upgrade -- any reason to do that?).

The famous Java Runtime Environment is suddenly up to date and green although it's blocked as unsafe. Hunh?

All these are "unknown":

Windows Activation Technologies (v. 7.1.7600.16395)
VLC Web Plugin v. 2.1.3.0 as discussed here at length
Adobe Shockwave for Director v. 12.1.6.156
Microsoft Office 2010 v.14.0.4730.1010
Windows Live Photo Gallery v. 15.4.3538.513

The last two have been "unknown" for years but the other three are new additions to the list.

Paul B. Gallagher