Ant wrote:
http://www.rockstargames.com/videos/video/11267 and
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=160425

Is anyone else getting this error [Subject: "We've detected that your
device or browser does not support this HTML5 format video. Please
watch on the most recent generation device and browser."] in their
SeaMonkey web browsers? Or is it just my very old computer and OS? :/

My guess is that it's your old OS.  I don't know about SeaMonkey, so
my guess is based on the (possibly wrong) assumption that SM deals
with web video the same way Fx does.

For a while now Windows 7+ Firefox has been able to play mp4s without
any helper apps, leveraging Windows Media Foundation.  But Windows XP
does not have Windows Media Foundation.  So I think you need a plugin
for those mp4s.  If you use a plugin or any other handler, make sure
media.windows-media-foundation.enabled is set to 'false'.

Shouldn't SM be able to play HTML5 videos natively without any addons?

OK, well, yes and no... The SeaMonkey project has been bragging about HTML 5 support since at least v. 2.25.

Others are more expert than I on the subject, but I see no <video> tag on either page as prescribed by W3C. The first page appropriately specifies <!DOCTYPE html> for HTML 5, while the second page specifies HTML 4.01. So even though the video is an mp4, I'm not sure if SM will think to draw upon its HTML 5 handling routines.

Paul B. Gallagher