DoctorBill wrote:
I often get Mail where a pdf file needs Adobe
reader to see it.
I have Adobe Reader, but it is not associated with SM.
I have to click on the link that says I don't have
Adobe !  THEN it loads.  Kind of clunky.

Is there a way to get the Adobe Reader "into" SM
or have it go there automatically ?

You might try an uninstall/reinstall of Reader.

I don't currently use Adobe, and I haven't seen the behavior recently, but I know with both Foxit and PDFXchange, there's installation options that allow for the reader being installed, and where you can specify calling as the default option for handling .PDF.

If you're playing with PDF readers, you might want to consider a non-Adobe tool.

Remember that Adobe's design of Acrobat and PDF is as an enterprise-grade document management system. The expectation is that the user launches Reader at the beginning of the day, and leaves it open (either as a full window, or background, in the System Tray), and is interacting frequently with PDF content. As a result, Reader has a lot of plugins -- those chew up a lot of resources (memory and launch time), and only a small fraction of those plug-ins are needed for simple viewing of PDF content.

If you need something specific that Adobe provides (such as capacity for encrypted email, forms handling and data collection, etc.) Reader is a great tool. If all you need is occasionally to read a PDF-formatted file, then Reader is overkill, IMHO.

I've found that both Foxit and PDFXchange Viewer are smaller and lighter: both are faster, and consume less resources.

Smith