On 1/11/2016 8:49 PM, Danny Kile wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> My version of Adobe Reader is Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 15.9.20069 and
>>> according to Adobe that is the latest if I try to update. Under [Edit >
>>> Preferences > Browser > Helper > Applications] I have 7 entries for
>>> Adobe Acrobat the one I think your asking for is application/pdf is set
>>> to Always Ask.
>>>
>>> I have notice that I can avoids the above problem if I close any/all
>>> tabs open with a pdf open and them make some other tab the active before
>>> shutting down, it then close down normally. But if I have a tab open
>>> with a pdf doc in then I have the problem.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help.
>>>

>> You are using a cloud version of Adobe Reader (not "Acrobat Reader").  I
>> have been avoiding that because I do not use any cloud capabilities.  I
>> have Adobe Reader 11.0.13.17, which is non-cloud.
>>
>> Using SeaMonkey, I went to "To and Across Canada: Vancouver to Montréal"
>> at <http://www.rossde.com/Canada_trip/Vancouver_Montreal.html>.
>> Scrolling down about two-thirds to the 11 August entry, there is the
>> link <http://www.rossde.com/Canada_trip/ltr_from_VIARail.pdf> to "An
>> executive answered my letter".  I opened that link -- a PDF file -- in a
>> new tab and returned to the "To and Across Canada: Vancouver to
>> Montréal" tab.  I closed SeaMonkey, just quitting without saving the
>> current tabs.  AcroRd32.exe does not appear in Task Manager's list.  I
>> shut down Windows 7 without any problems.
>>
>> I suggest you remove Adobe Reader DC 15.9.20069.  Get the current
>> non-cloud version of Adobe Reader via FTP from
>> <ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/11.0.13/misc>.  The
>> installer for Windows is AdbeRdrUpd11013.msp.  Try it to see if you
>> still have your problem.
>>

> I have already installed Adobe Reader 10.1.4 and it works. However, SM
> report it is an old version and will not start automatically without me
> authorizing it first. One thing I notice you are doing is closing SM
> yourself, then shutting down. I am not closing SM, I am just shutting
> down and letting windows close he open programs.

After going to the PDF file for "An executive answered my letter" in a
separate tab while keeping the focus on the tab for "To and Across
Canada: Vancouver to Montréal", I shut down Windows WITHOUT first
terminating SeaMonkey.  No problem.

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.