Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez wrote:
El 10/03/16 a las 15:24, Jonathan N. Little escribió:
tokyoprogresss...@mailbox.org wrote:
I thought I sent this yesterday but it seems not to have gone
through. I tried to enter my gmail data but got a message gmail
telling me they blocked the attempt to retrieve
email from this application because it was not an up-to-date one. I
have the most recent Mac copy of SM, so I want to confirm if, in
fact, gmail does not play ball with Sea Monkey, if there may be
another reason for that message, or what.

When setup SeaMonkey or Thunderbird to gmail you have to go to the
webmail interface at gmail.com and in the settings change *enable
"less secure applications"*. I think it is not about email client
security but more that Google is pushing folks to use *their* Chrome
and webmail interface.

Similar, but not exactly that reason. Google is promoting its own
protocol for authentications, on the basis that the current scheme of
login + password is flawed. It may or may not be true (I read it some
time ago, and I don't really like it too much). The protocol is not
closed (Google is, AFAIK, not asking for money for sites or services
wanting to use it), so it is more like Google wants to be recognized
for being the author of a critical shift in how services authenticate.

What protocol? Currently using SSL/StartTLS, do you mean TLS 1.0? IIRC Mozilla tried disabling it by default, but it broke too many websites so folk could do things like online banking... Or is this some special protocol where Chrome takes a DNS sample? ;-)

--
Take care,

Jonathan