On 4/20/2016 10:02 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> On 4/20/2016 4:01 AM, Daniel's fingers rattled off:
>> On 20/04/2016 1:23 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> On 4/19/2016 4:27 AM, Daniel's fingers rattled off:

>>> Edit - Preferences - Advanced - HTTP Networking - check Advertise
>>> Firefox compatibility.
>>>
>> Been there, done that ... and undone it .... several times, Ed!
>>

> Why undo it?  You'll have less problems online if you advertise FF
> compatibility.

My default is to disable "Advertise Firefox compatibility".  If I have a
problem from that, my first recourse is to use PrefBar to set my user
agent string to
        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101
                SeaMonkey/2.40, NOT Firefox/45.0
If that does not work, I use PrefBar to revert to my real UA string and
then have PrefBar check the "Advertise Firefox compatibility" checkbox.
And if that does not work, I have PrefBar uncheck that checkbox and set
my user agent string to
        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101
                Firefox/45.0

"Advertise Firefox compatibility" is not always effective.  I have found
Web sites that cannot handle the presence of "SeaMonkey" in the
resulting UA string
         Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101
                Firefox/43.0 SeaMonkey/2.40
I do not know whether the servers are parsing the entire UA string or
merely require "Firefox" to be at the end.  I just know that the mere
presence of "SeaMonkey" in the string causes problems at some Web sites.

By the way, when I find an organization's site that is doing incorrect
sniffing, I sometimes send a letter (US Postal System, not E-mail) to
the CEO explaining why they have a broken Web server.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

Sarah Palin claims Bill Nye (the "Science Guy") is no more
a scientist than she is.  Nye has a Bachelor of Science degree
in mechanical engineering.  Palin has degree in communications
with an emphasis on journalism.  Somehow, engineering seems to
be more scientific than journalism.