Felix Miata wrote:
Arnie Goetchius composed on 2016-07-22 12:58 (UTC-0400):

I'm not writing for nerds but instead am trying to keep it brief for
the Chase
CTO. How about if I use the following from Wikipedia?

"SeaMonkey is a free and open-source Internet suite. It is the
continuation of
the former Mozilla Application Suite, based on the same source code,
which
itself grew out of Netscape Communicator and formed the base of
Netscape 6 and
Netscape 7."

I'd consider it a glaring omission to not mention the guts of what makes
Firefox Firefox is the same Gecko rendering engine and the same Necko
networking apparatus from which SM is built, current considerations
rather than ancient history. Differences between FF and SM browsing
competence are entirely in their UIs, which have no relevance to any web
site.

I would agree with that one.

Start at the bottom with the Gecko rendering engine -- *that's* the standard. Mention of Netscape in this way is technically correct, but it's a distraction, especially since Netscape (by name) is long gone.

The critical thing to communicate is that web page functionality is based on Gecko's rendering capacities, and that the difference between Firefox and Seamonkey (and other Gecko browsers, such as Waterfox) is in the UI; things like where to find specific configuration settings, or support particular extensions.

It's also noteworthy that both Chrome and IE t both do a measure of spoofing of Gecko in their UA strings, where the strings begin with "Mozilla/5.0", and include "like Gecko".

Arnie -- did you see the notes that I posted, following my experiments with browser spoofing? Although a follow-up poster indicated problems with PaleMoon, the only place where I had problems was with the default Firefox UI. Much to my surprise, when I showed a UA string with Camino (abandoned for several years, and where it show that it's based of FF 2.x), I had no problems. Despite the report of problems with Palemoon without spoofing, I'm still wondering if Chase is searching specifically looking for Seamonkey by name (perhaps along with searching for the Netscape name).

In that context, the historical roots of Gecko are not only irrelevant for the question at hand, but mention of Netscape may be the trigger that causes whomever reads what you have to say to dismiss the remainder of the content, entirely.

That said, the one place where the difference between FF and other Gecko browsers is significant is in interaction with Chase's customer support people. If a support person that the user is using Firefox, then if the tech suspects config problems, he/she knows exactly how to instruct the user to navigate to a particular setting -- inspect, and change, if necessary. For Seamonkey, the tech knows that the setting is there, but isn't conversant on the navigation to get there.

As a support tech myself, I have this problem in reverse. In Seamonkey, I know where to find nearly anything quickly. I use Firefox only occasionally, and not enough where I've really mastered all the navigation of the UI settings. I can offset that some with tools such as PrefBar, but if I'm working in a profile that's close to default (especially on somebody else's machine), I often end up having to do a measure of trial-and-error to get through Firefox (or for that matter, Thunderbird)'s rendition of Tools -> Options, rather than Seamonkey's Edit -> Preferences.

Smith