John E wrote:

I think many of us correspond by email across different timezones,
and in Composition & Addressing  I have my SM 2.40 (which I'm running
under Linux Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) set to "automatically quote the
original message when replying".

For a new question on a separate issue, please start a new thread by composing a new message to the newsgroup. If you hijack an unrelated thread as you've just done, your question will likely be ignored, and it will be hard for someone else to find it if they have the same issue.

Thank you.

Paul B. Gallagher