Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
mozilla-lists.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
I have noticed that sometimes SM will guess wrong when I select a
message in a mail folder, but if I navigate away and then return it'll
guess right. I don't know why that is -- it seems to be sticking to the
encoding it used for the previous message that I just deleted.

I've noticed that too, and it may be the root of Alexandre's problem. It
seems that SeaMonkey correctly detects the encoding when opening
messages in the "message pane", but doesn't actually use that encoding
until the next message is opened, and doesn't detect the encoding at all
when opening them in a separate window (just using the last-detected
encoding from the message pane).

That also affects opening previously saved drafts. So, for example:
- Start composing a message with UTF-8 encoding (like Paul, that's my
default) and include a character not covered by the standard ASCII set
(in my case, usually "£")  ...

Interesting. What you call "standard ASCII" is what we used to call
"high ASCII."

By "standard ASCII", I meant the first 128 characters. "£" is one of the extended characters in some charsets. In UTF-8, it's encoded as a two-byte sequence. Hence when an email containing "£" encoded in UTF-8 is decoded using an extended ASCII charset, it appears as two separate characters.

The first 128 characters (up to ... xyz{|}~€  in Windows
Character Map) are the most basic, and the last 127 (beginning with
‚ƒ„…†‡ˆ‰Š‹ŒŽ) sometimes cause trouble. The high ASCII set also
includes the accented Western characters mentioned by the OP, such as
àáâãäåæçèéê..., but not Eastern European characters such as ăĺčďů.

The exact characters included in the high/extended ASCII range depend on the particular character set being used. The one you use may include / not include those characters, but another might. There's not one single extended ASCII charset but several, each with an emphasis on particular languages or regions, including the characters needed for those languages in its extended range.

At any rate, if high ASCII is causing problems, that suggests that SM is
trying for some reason to make do with a seven-bit encoding instead of
eight bits.

It's not extended characters as such that causes a problem, but emails being decoded using the wrong character set. The 128 standard ASCII characters are encoded the same in all extended ASCII-based charsets and also in UTF-8, so for those of us in Western countries, using the wrong encoding generally isn't noticeable except for the odd character outside the standard ASCII ranges.

--
Mark.