Paul B. Gallagher wrote, on 11 Oct 16 04:10:

If I were only getting 20 messages a day, I might try your way. As it
happens, I routinely get over a hundred, sometimes 200, so filtering to
appropriate folders is a great time saver. If messages 3, 28, 47, and 96
relate to the same topic, it's much easier to see all four in the same
folder and read them together than to try to keep several dozen threads
in my head all at the same time as I work through an unsorted inbox.

I also get client requests referring to old jobs, some of them a year or
two old, and I have to be able to find the old correspondence quickly
and easily. I probably have a hundred thousand old messages going back
to the late 90s, and the only way I can cope is with a good filing system.

Yeah, "You can't really understand another person's experience until you've walked a mile in their shoes" (and, by then, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes... :-))

I guess that, on average, I must get 50 messages a day, but most of them are very quickly and easily taken care of every day using an e-mails folders structure adequate to my needs and SM's spam/junk filters and Boolean search (which, BTW, is unparalleled, at least for me: I've never seen any e-mail client with search capabilities even close to these!); I imagine that, if I got 100-200/day, maybe I'd start using folder filtering, too...

BTW, I just remembered that I do use folder filtering, but on my e-mail service (fastmail.fm): Many years ago, I wrote a filtering script so that e-mails sent to that address would be sent to my SM client, with a copy in their 'junk' files, and those sent to an alternate address, on another service, would be automatically retrieved and go to a specific folder there, keeping the original on that other service -- but it has been so long that that's all I remember, and probably I wouldn't be able to even understand that script if I wanted to change it, these days.

Finally, a 'kindred soul': I also keep many messages since the '90s (starting with a few from CompuServe!), and am only able to do that because of the aforementioned e-mails folders structure and SM's Boolean search capabilities. Most people I know delete 99% of their e-mails soon after reading them (or even before that :-)); besides sometimes having a need to get back to earlier info and texts, one of my intents is being able to avoid 'reinventing the wheel': If I already wrote extensively about something I have to write again today, why not re-use the previous text, with adequate changes?

--
Thanks beforehand for your attention, and I hope to hear from you soon.

s) Alexander Yudenitsch   <ale...@postpro.net>