On 12/21/2016 4:44 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>
>> I have files unrelated to SeaMonkey that are no less important. I do
>> a system-wide backup every week.
>
> In my case, nightly (mission-critical work computer). The first week I
> had a computer (a PC-XT in 1985), I lost a whole day's work by failing
> to back it up. Ever since, my motto has been, "If you love me, back me up."
>
> Some basic principles all users should follow for backup (I'm sure you
> know this, but other readers may not):
>
> 1) Do it automatically. If you have to think about it, you'll forget or
> make excuses, and when disaster comes you'll lose something important
> because you didn't back it up.
>
> 2) Separate the backup media from the source computer. If the backup is
> killed by the same disaster as the computer, you have no backup.
>
> 3) Use a system that doesn't impact your lifestyle or workstyle. If it's
> a PITA, you'll find an excuse to abort it or cancel it, and then you'll
> have no backup.
>
> 4) Test the restore function periodically. If you can't restore, you
> have no backup.

Because backups can require significant hardware resources while
operating, they can severely impact other concurrent tasks.  Thus, I
prefer to launch my backup application manually and only when I know I
am not doing anything else on my computer.  My calendar reminds me --
nags me -- to do my backups.

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.