Daniel wrote:
> Just mussing!!
>
> Jonathan, what you typed above is correct, as far as I know, but it got
> me thinking .....
>
> When we receive e-mails which we then send to the Trash folder, those
> e-mails, as far as I know, are still in the Inbox mbox file, but as you
> typed, a bit in the header is set to indicate that they have been
> Trashed so they don't show in the Inbox display. They are then actually
> removed when the Inbox is Compacted.
>
> Is it possible that a Draft message has a similar relationship with the
> Sent folder, ... i.e. the Draft message is actually stored in the Sent
> mbox file with some header bit set to indicate it is really a Draft
> message, not a message that has been Sent?

Message is appended to the Sent folder only after SeaMonkey gets
response from mail server that it successfully received the message.

<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Tech/XPCOM/Reference/nsMsgMessagesFlags>

When moving or deleting messages in mail folders the actual data is
still there until rebuilt by compacting. If you don't compact you can
manually "restore" messages by editing the X-Mozilla-Status header
bitflag. I have used Perl to reset values to reset all messages in a
mail folder to recover lost mail for folks that made oopsies with the
delete key.

--
Take care,

Jonathan