On 4/23/2017 6:30 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 4/22/2017 1:05 AM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>> Dirk Munk wrote:
>>
>>> I wanted to use Google Earth yesterday, and I was surprised with the
>>> announcement that there was a new Google Earth for use in a browser.
>>> The announcement contained a link to https://earth.google.com/web/ ,
>>> but when I opened it with SeaMonkey I got this message "Aw snap! The
>>> new Google Earth isn't supported by your browser yet.", and a message
>>> to try it in Chrome.
>>>
>>> Why doesn't the new Google Earth run in SeaMonkey / Firefox etc.?
>>
>> Arrogance? Stupidity? Your guess is as good as mine.
>>

> Really?
>
> - Perhaps because it's _their_ web application & they offer it for free
> using _their_ interface (Chrome browser)?
> - Perhaps because Mozilla didn't contribute to the GE project? (I do not
> know if Mozilla contributed anything to the code but I suspect if they
> had/do that there may be a Firefox plugin in the works)
>
> I suspect that it's such a large and complex project (imagine SeaMonkey
> or all of Mozilla attempting to accomplish the same) that just getting
> it to run in Chrome is a major feat.
>
> //slight rant//
> Why is it that we (generic) now expect all things available on the web
> to be free, and believe that we are entitled to the work of others
> regardless of the application? Why not just be thankful that someone
> offers something that can be used to improve your productivity,
> imagination, creativity, life overall?
> //end slight rant//
>
> Note: The new web version doesn't run on Chromium or Opera either (yet)
> but I suspect it will eventually/
>
> You can still download and run the standalone GE & GE Pro version on
> Windows and Linux (works for me).
>
> https://www.google.com/earth/resources/
> "Web
> Why did you make the new Google Earth a web app?
> Classic desktop Earth must be downloaded and installed on your Windows,
> Mac or Linux computer. By making new Earth a web app (on Chrome, for
> now) it can be used on most computers including Chromebooks, without a
> download. Being on the web makes it easier for us to make updates and
> ensure you're using the most up to date product. Plus, it makes it
> easier for you to share your own experiences with Google Earth by using
> a simple link."
>
>   Note the " (on Chrome, for now)"...

A little too fast on the send button, missed adding this:
"
Why is the web version Chrome-only?
Our new cross-platform 3D rendering engine currently uses a Chrome-only
technology called Native Client to bring Earth to the web. However,
we’re closely tracking the evolution of WebAssembly (especially
threading) which will enable us to bring Google Earth to other major
browsers like Edge, Firefox and Safari. Stay tuned!"