On 6/4/17 at 11:21 AM, Ray_Net's prodigious digits fired off with great aplomb:
Larry S. wrote on 04-06-17 15:43:
Ray_Net wrote:
Chris Ilias wrote on 04-06-17 01:37:
On 2017-06-03 4:53 PM, Ray_Net wrote:
rickman wrote on 03-06-17 17:42:
Ray_Net wrote on 6/3/2017 11:26 AM:
mozilla-lists.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote on 03-06-17 15:32:

It looks like Joe has solved the problem, but just to clear up this
point... mail and newsgroup posts are not sent via the same
server. Mail
is sent to an SMTP server (and received via a POP or IMAP server).
Newsgroup posts are sent to an NNTP server (and received via the same server). It's entirely possible to post to an NNTP (newsgroup) server
without a working SMTP (outbound mail) server.

Nice to know that. Thanks. Now I better understand why the OP was
able to
send a post and not able to send a mail.
Here to post this message to news.mozilla.org I used the SMTP server
provided by my ISP.
How is it possible to post to news.mozilla.org without using an
SMTP server ?

By definition newsgroups are accessed through the NNTP protocol
which is implemented on news servers.  That is a separate means from
SMTP which is implemented on email servers.

I know newsgroups can be posted to using email clients, i.e. sending
an email because I did this when I started using newsgroups.  I
don't know if you can read messages by email though.  I don't know
if this requires a special email program that actually sends the
message by NNTP or if email has to be addressed to a server that
converts between SMTP and NNTP.

Is that any more clear?

Yes and no :-)
In fact, I will be interested to know HOW TO post here to
news.mozilla.org by using SeaMonkey without using any SMTP server ?

Both mozilla-lists.mbou...@spamgourmet.com and rickman have stated
that newsgroups don't use SMTP. I'm not sure why you don't believe them.

You asked how:
1. Go to a newsgroup.
2. Click "Compose".
3. Type your message, and click Send.
That's how. :)

You can test it by creating a new SeaMonkey profile, and creating a
newsgroups account for news.mozilla.org with no SMTP server, then
sending a post to mozilla.test.

I finally believed them, but MY news-group account to access
news.mozilla.org have my ISP smtp server written in the SM options for
this account.
I just look at that option and the only choices are all my smtp servers
and "Use Default Server" there is no "No SMTP server".
When reading your posting, I go to Edit>Mail and News Groups Account Settings and under news.mozilla.org I click on Server Settings. There I read "news.mozilla.org" (under the heading Server Type: News Server). Do you get something different?
Larry S.
Yes ... BUT whne you say: "and under news.mozilla.org I click on Server Settings."
I don't click ..I just look at the rigth side where I read:
- Account name
- Default identity infos
- Signature options
- option to attach my vCard to messages
- AND - this: Outgoing Server (SMTP) : with my smtp server.
Then a button "Manage Identities..."
then 3 buttons: "OK"- "Cancel" and "Help"

So I have a place to put the SMTP-Server and I cannot remove this.
Do you get something different ?

Ascreen shot would be really helpful.

--
Ed Mullen