Hey all, thanks for the replies.

I didn't realize that SM Composer was so long-in-the-tooth! It seems pretty
good to me, but I am an ancient geek (I was a geek before it became
fashionable!)

I think (maybe) the problem is that since I am using Gmail that it doesn't
support backgrounds and strips them out. One anomaly however - I went back to
Thunderbird and found it used the same Templates folder and the three templates
I test-created showed up there - in both TB and SM Mail! And, if I create a
complex email template with fancy background in TB, the full template is
available to SM Mail! Sooooo, I'm thinking that SM Mail strips out the
backgrounds. If I can leave a link you can look at my screenshot here.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wYIkgPCuiXnHTCtOLcUyUuCwEOYl_10E/view?usp=sharing