On 10/1/18, Daniel <d...@rubbish.albury.net.au> wrote:
> Dirk Munk wrote on 30/09/2018 9:17 PM:
>> meagain wrote:

Conceptually it's pretty simple.  It starts with public key cryptography
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography
where you generate your "key pair"
- a public key that you give out; others use that key to encrypt messages to you
- a private key that you keep secret and use for decrypting messages

So far, so good, but how do you get someone's public key?  Best is to
exchange keys in person, but doing that can be anywhere from trivial
to impossible, so somebody came up with the idea of a key signing
party to build a 'web of trust'.  eg
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-September/001994.html

So we're cool now - right?  You've got a public key for encrypting
mail to someone & a private key for decrypting received mail.  But who
wants to deal with creating/saving email attachments and doing command
line crap like
  gpg -e -a -r NAME < FILE
  gpg -d FILE
for every single msg?  ick.  triple ick.  Way too much manual labor,
so we're off to
  http://www.secure-my-email.com/intro_to_openpgp.php
to learn how to do encryption in the email client.  yay!

But.. Oh Noes!!  https://efail.de/

So you go looking & find stuff like
  https://ssd.eff.org/en/blog/how-turn-pgp-back-safely-possible
and decide that it's safe to go back to automatically handling encrypted mail.

Which gets us back to
> It would be a nice feature if you could have an option "always send
> encrypted" with every address book entry.
to help prevent those Oh Noes!! moments when you send something
without encryption.

Regards,
Lee