On 2/10/19, DoctorBill <non...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
>> DoctorBill wrote:
>>> My old free version of Malwarebytes did a "Thing" on me and
>>> did an "Update" which installed a 14 day trial version !  I dumped it.
>>>
>>> Been looking for the "Free" version, but can't find it.
>>> Is it gone ?  'Free Download' is used to trick you into the 14 trial
>>> version.
>>>
>>> Old sites for the Original FREE VERSION just lead to the
>>> 14 day thing.  Circular.
>>>
>>> Am I right ?
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>>
>> MB became confusing some time back when they went from a simple scan on
>> demand to including every other anti-virus thing in a suite.
>> Download and install the free version but don't check the box for "start
>> 14 day trial", or what ever it says... I forgot exactly.
>> Also, in Setup / Application, be sure to turn off EVERYTHING, otherwise
>> it will continually report back to their home planet.
>>

> I cannot find the "Free Version" on Google.
> Whatever Google comes up with turns out to be the 14 Day trial thing !
> That is why I am asking if that is gone ?
>
> Even the Google links that are OLDER still come up with the 14 day thing.
> If I am missing something, please tell me !

It looks like you get 14 days of Malwarebytes Premium for free; if you
don't buy it then all the premium features are disabled and you're
left with the free version that just disinfects:
https://www.malwarebytes.com/trial/
- For 14 days, Malwarebytes for Window will keep malware from
infecting your computer for free. After that, it reverts to a limited
scanner.
- TRIAL PERIOD
Prevent malware from infecting your computer for 14 days with
real-time protection, anti-ransomware technology, and malicious
website blocking.
- DO NOTHING
Malwarebytes for Windows reverts to a manual scanner that detects and
cleans up malware infections only when you run a scan. You can upgrade
to the premium version any time.

Did earlier versions of malwarebytes free offer any kind of protection
or was it strictly an after-the-fact find & remove malware product?

Lee