j...@comcast.com composed on 2019-03-13 21:04 (UTC-0400):

> how should the preference be added?  should it be in user.js or prefs.js?

> Other than protocol, does it really make any difference which file it
> would be added to?

You should not write to prefs.js. You can read it. For user.js it's the
opposite,
the app only reads it, while you create it and write it should you choose to.
Content
in user.js will be applied on every startup. Prefs added or changed via
about:config
normally remains until intentionally changed.

> Since there is no user.js at this time for seamonkey on my system, which
> sub-directory should  the user.js file go in?

Same directory containing prefs.js.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/